Are you owned by a Boxer? Then you already know how loyal, fun, energetic, and intelligent this breed can be. Always alert and steadfast, a Boxer will be your true companion through thick and thin. If you live an active, outdoorsy lifestyle, the Boxer just might be the ideal breed for you. Oh, and did we mention that they’re darn good looking too? No dog combines strength and elegance with more flair than this dapper breed. Read on for a few fun Boxer facts…
1. The modern Boxer descends from a dog called the Bullenbeisser (“bull biter”), a now-extinct German dog which was known for its strength and agility.
2. The standard Boxer coat colors are brindle and fawn. Acceptable breed markings are a black mask, a black mask with white markings, and white markings.
3. The Boxer shares many common characteristics with other bulldog-type breeds.
4. Boxers make excellent service dogs and have been used as guide dogs for the blind, hearing dogs for the deaf, and also seizure alert dogs.
5. An adult male Boxer can weigh between 65-80 pounds; females are generally around 15 pounds lighter.
6. Boxers are dedicated guardian and working dogs; Boxers also make excellent herding dogs and even compete in sheepdog herding trials.
7. The Boxer is one of the most child-friendly dog breeds, equally happy engaging in play with kids, or just patiently watching over their human siblings.
Embrace your inner puppy & shop our entire dog collection - 25% of all proceeds go directly to no kill animal shelters!
8. The first Boxers were brought to America from Germany after World War I, and became quite popular by the 1930s.
9. Sometimes all-white Boxers are born, and while they can be registered with the American Kennel Club, American Boxer Club members must pledge not to use them for breeding purposes.
10. Boxers have very long puppyhoods; it takes them three years to reach full maturity.
- AH Printing