shelter pets in need
Each order helps pets in need
If you're a cat owner with a dog as well, one of the most crucial pet safety tips to remember is never to use dog flea and tick treatments on your cat. This is because of permethrin toxicity in cats. Learn more about this common poison, the signs of poisoning, and prevention treatments as approved by a veterinarian.
Are you worried that your cat may have come into contact with permethrin? This chemical is commonly found in flea and tick treatments, but it can be
When treating permethrin poisoning, it's important to follow the instructions on the treatment label carefully. Ensure to note any warning labels about how toxic it can be for cats and how often and much of the product should be used.
Resist the temptation to apply too much and take a break from using any flea or tick treatments for a few weeks if your cat has had a recent reaction.
You should also remove any residue from your pet's fur by bathing them quickly with warm water and mild detergent. Be sure not to use hot water, as this could cause further irritation, and rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water after bath time is complete.
If you notice any swelling or redness of the skin around your pet's eyes or on their skin, consult a veterinarian immediately, as this could be a sign of an allergic reaction.
Are you worried if your cat ingested something toxic? If so, we must know the common signs and symptoms of permethrin poisoning among our cute felines.
Some of these are quite obvious, such as drooling, tremors, vomiting, and seizures. Some may be less so, like depression and lethargy. You must be aware of their previous behaviors to determine whether they are acting out of the ordinary.
Another common symptom of poisoning is ataxia. This is characterized by instability in motion. If your cat is walking like a drunk person, get him or her quickly tested by a vet.
In severe cases, ingestion of this chemical may cause respiratory paralysis. If it’s left untreated, death may even occur for your kitty. Always look out for these signs in their body language if you have pet flea treatment.
Your furry pal may also experience skin irritation when he comes in contact with this chemical. If it comes with other symptoms like loss of appetite and excessive panting, it might be time to get worried.
Another sign can be found in their behavioral changes. Cats have never been the most social creatures, but intake of this poison may cause them to have increased aggression even towards their owners.
When it comes to specific pet emergencies such as these, it’s essential to know what veterinary professionals have to say. They’ve studied for these, after all.
With that being said, here’s a few key points from professionals when it comes to permethrin poisoning:
If your cat was only exposed to low levels of permethrin, you may be able to treat your cat at home with the help of a qualified vet. Here are a few treatments your vet might suggest for milder cases:
Your vet may suggest bathing your cat with an approved pet shampoo. This removes any residual toxins and helps reduce the severity of symptoms. However, it’s important to note that bathing should not be done if your cat is having trouble breathing, as it can cause further complications or even death.
Sometimes, your vet may administer activated charcoal orally or through insertion into the stomach. Activated charcoal binds to toxins in the stomach and helps remove them from the system.
If vomiting or diarrhea is present, your vet will likely prescribe fluid therapy and medication to alleviate symptoms and reduce dehydration. It's also important to monitor kidney function as some permethrin cases can lead to kidney damage if left untreated.
It is important to note that home treatments for permethrin poisoning are not recommended as it can be challenging to know how severe the case is without medical help from a veterinarian. Proper treatment may not be possible without hospitalization.
It's not just permethrin that's poisonous to cats—there're other household chemicals you should be aware of too.
Cats can be poisoned by various bleaching agents, such as chlorine, oxygen, and peroxide bleach, usually found in laundry detergents and cleaning products. Poisoning symptoms can include difficulty breathing, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, and lethargy.
Non-bleaching agents such as silicates are used in liquid soaps, surface cleaners, and detergents and can be very
However, those cleaning products contain harmful non-bleaching agents that will cause skin irritations and other dangerous side effects if ingested or absorbed through the skin.
Pesticides containing permethrin are very
Herbicides containing glyphosate and fertilizers with other nitrogenous compounds also cause cat poisoning if ingested.
If you suspect your cat has been exposed to any kind of poison from household chemicals, it's important to seek emergency medical help right away to prevent further damage or death from poisoning.
When it comes to poisoning in cats, prevention is indeed better than cure. Here are some tips to help keep your cat safe from permethrin poisoning:
Be sure to read labels carefully and avoid products that contain permethrin or list it as one of their active ingredients. If you are unsure, ask your veterinarian for advice before using any product on your cat.
If you use a flea collar, ensure it meets safety standards and is designed specifically for cats. Some pet owners have seen reactions when using dog flea collars on cats, so make sure that the collar is designed specifically for cats.
Always follow your veterinarian's instructions when it comes to flea control products and treatments. Your vet can guide you through the best and safest way to protect your cat from fleas and other pests.
Maintaining good hygiene in your residence can go a long way in preventing pest infestations, especially if your family has pets like cats or dogs. Vacuum and clean regularly, empty trash cans often, seal openings or cracks around windows or foundations, and check for any signs of pests before bringing new pets.
These preventive measures can help reduce the risk of permethrin toxicity in cats caused by exposure to products containing this insecticide.
Household sprays with less than 5% concentration or lower are generally safe, although cat owners should still proceed with caution.
There is currently no related research on toxicity when this substance has fully dried, but just to be safe, it is best to use feline-friendly alternatives. No cat merch is worth the safety of your fur babies.
Dogs have certain enzymes in their liver, which allow them to safely break down these chemicals when ingested. Cats, on the other hand, do not have this option.