One of the most popular toy dog breeds is the frisky (and feisty!) Chihuahua. Named for the region of Mexico where the breed is believed to come from, the exact origins of the Chihuahua are still a bit of a mystery. Chihuahuas are thought to be descended from dogs kept by the ancient Indians of Mexico, called Techichis. Artifacts depicting Techichi dogs are commonly found at archeological sites throughout the country.
Can’t get enough of this little dog with big personality? Here are some interesting facts about the Chihuahua:
1. In the U.S., Chihuahuas were originally called Arizona Dogs or Texas Dogs, because they first came to the U.S. from Mexico through these border states.
2. A Chihuahua puppy is born with a soft spot on the skull, similar to human babies.
3. The Chihuahua's coat can be long, short, or mid-length, and can come in almost any color.
4. Chihuahuas are the worlds’ smallest purebred dog breed.
5. Chihuahuas are often called “clannish” meaning they prefer the company of other Chihuahuas, but many Chihuahuas enjoy the companionship of other dog breeds…and cats too.
6. Chihuahuas have so-called “deerhead” or “applehead” head shapes.
Embrace your inner puppy & shop our entire dog collection - 25% of all proceeds go directly to no kill animal shelters!
7. The Chihuahua was registered with the AKC back in 1904, one of the earliest registered breeds.
8. Chihuahuas love to burrow into blankets (or your clothes!) when they go to sleep.
9. Chihuahuas become very attached to their people and can suffer from separation anxiety.
10. Chihuahuas can live up to 18 years or more, one of the longest-lived dog breeds.
- AH Printing