Did you know that October is Adopt a Shelter Dog Month? It’s always a good time to adopt a homeless shelter pet, of course…but why not adopt your new best friend this month and take advantage of some of the special offers and promotions at your local shelter in honor of the occasion. Plus, you get to go on some picture-perfect fall foliage hikes with your new pup, not to mention dress him up for Halloween!
Here are some tips from petfinder.com about how you can help shelter dogs find their new forever homes this month.
- Donate your Facebook status by posting the message “October is Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month. Save a life: Adopt a dog!”
- Tweet the same message on Twitter.
- Ask your local shelter or rescue group if they have any special events or promotions that you can help out with by volunteering your time and talents.
- Share a petfinder.com Happy Tail adoption success story on your blog, website, or social media.
- Consider fostering a rescue dog or becoming an animal shelter volunteer.
- Ask your local shelter if they have a wish list of needed items and make an in-kind or cash donation to help them out.
- Educate the next generation by letting the kids in your life know about the importance of responsible pet ownership, spay and neuter, and adopting homeless pets.
Your Animal Hearted purchase saves lives! 25% of all proceeds are donated to no kill animal shelters!
- Aaron Seminoff