We all know the symptoms of allergies in people, but did you know that dogs can be allergic to things too, and that they display a different set of signs than humans? How do you know when your dog is suffering from allergies? Here are some things to look for, and what you can do to help your best friend feel better.
Signs of Allergies in Dogs
- Sneezing (and reverse sneezing)
- Red, itchy skin
- Runny eyes
- Obsessive licking or chewing (especially of the feet, ears, and face)
- Vomiting or diarrhea
What causes allergies in dogs?
- Dust mites and dander
- Cigarette smoke
- Flea bites
- Ingredients in food
How to combat canine allergies
- Talk to your vet about antihistamines
- Clean dog bedding every week
- Use flea and tick control products
- Brush your dog and bathe using hypoallergenic shampoo
- Clean your dog’s ears
- Use antiseptic wipes on irritated skin
- Talk to your vet about changing your dog’s diet
- Dogs with severe allergies can get hyposensitization treatment
Your Animal Hearted purchase saves lives! 25% of all proceeds are donated to no kill animal shelters!
- Aaron Seminoff