Congratulations, you got a new dog! If this is your first time as a dog owner, you might be a little confused by how to go about training your pup. Luckily, there are a lot of dog training and behavior experts out there to help you train your new dog. Not sure where to begin? Relax, here are some key tips to keep in mind for all you beginners. They come from the experts at Doggy Business, a dog training, play group, and boarding outfit in the extremely dog-friendly city of Portland, Oregon:
1. Make training fun for both your dog and yourself.
2. Involve the whole family in the training process.
3. Identify the behaviors you feel are most important for your dog to understand.
4. Always reward good behavior.
5. Besides food, use things like walks, toys, and playtime as rewards.
6. Start out simple so your dog can experience success right away.
7. Engage in 15-30 minute practice sessions 2-3 times per day.
Embrace your inner puppy & shop our entire dog collection - 25% of all proceeds go directly to no kill animal shelters!
8. Keep adding new skills as your dog gets the hang of previous ones.
9. Commit to making learning a lifelong experience to keep your dog stimulated.
10. Take a training class if you need extra help.
- AH Printing